Sunday, October 18, 2020

My Friend, Yosef Cohen

 

"God don't make them any better.  And that's a fact."  So said Brigadier General Lewis Armistead of Major General Winfield Hancock in the film Gettysburg.  Of all the words in all the literature I have read, these are the ones that come to mind upon the passing of my friend, Yosef Cohen.  They come to mind quickly in association with him, for I have said them often over the years when speaking of him to others.

In 2012, Yosef, or Yossi as so many knew him, was honored by the Bureau of Jewish Education.  If you consider yourself my friend, take fewer than five minutes to watch this video about him on the occasion of that most deserved recognition.

In that video you get a sense of who he was as an educator, and but as his colleague who for many years taught in the room next to his at North Central High School in Indianapolis, I was blessed by something more, but let us start with educator.

As a teacher of Latin and occasionally Greek, I sometimes had questions about Hebrew, for that ancient language so often was intertwined with those of my discipline, Classics.  The moment I even began to ask him a question, Yosef would suggest that we meet over lunch.  We each brought out our lexicons, and the richest, headiest of conversations would begin, allowing me in a small way to count myself as one of his students.

He was also my interlocutor on matters of politics, the economy, education, world issues, and history.  Our conversations during passing periods made me want to be late for my own classes so the discussions with Yosef could continue.  He thought deeply and broadly, and this allowed him to bring civility to our conversations the like of which many would think was no longer possible.  With his passing, it very well may not be.

He played a paternal role for me as well, often pointing to his grey hair and my lack of it, perhaps being willfully blind to the increasing salt in the pepper of my beard.  He cared for my wife and my children, asking about them after we returned from every school break and especially after summer vacation, and was genuinely concerned about my future.  His advice was always sage, and it always, always aligned exactly with whatever my wife would say.  I sometimes wondered if they talked behind my back so their counsel would agree.

His humor was legendary, and I rarely took my leave of him without hearing a new joke from his seemingly endless treasury.  He lightened our department meetings with that humor and reminded us all that as important as teaching was, the business of schooling...well, not so much.

Children often have their heroes, real or imagined, that they delight in imitating, but it is rare for an adult to have, or at least to admit to having, such a model.  My wife can testify that I have said many times over the years that I would like to be more like Yosef Cohen when I grow up, and in this I know I am far from alone.

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute! Joseph will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve...

    Deeply sorry for your loss. However, I'm left inspired by your words. May we all strive to make an everlasting difference in the lives of others - much like Yosef. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving that comment, Todd. It means a lot.

      Delete
  3. The video worked! and I'm thrilled...I feel like I missed out not knowing him...or about him...what an incredible man...how blessed were his students (and co-workers/staff). What an impact he has made. Thank you for sharing about this educator extraordinaire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for honoring him by watching that video. It captures him well.

      Delete
  4. I loved the video. I loved how passionate he was about wanting to instill in young children the feeling of "being comfortable being a Jew". What a lovely lovely man. I'm not sure what I liked best, his words of wisdom or when the video showed him teaching. I felt drawn to his movements...like I was in his class. "Hamakom y'nachem etchem b'toch sh'ar availai tziyon ee yerushalayim."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you were blessed to have him as a teacher! Thank you for leaving your thoughts here.

      Delete
  5. Steve,
    Thank you for bringing Yosef to the light for all of us to remember his charm, wit and humor in our own memories. As you know I too got to be his Hallway Mate these last four years of my career at North Central....The 2019-2020 school year was a tough one for all of us but the most difficult time for me was after the first quarter, and not seeing Yosef at his classroom door greeting his students or at my door telling me one of his classic jokes or bits of wisdom as you so beautifully stated here in your blog. Yosef shared his faith with us all who cared to engage with him and he also wanted to know about my Catholic faith. I was forever grateful that we could express our love for God openly and our vocations to serve our students with the same passion. Yosef will never be forgotten in all the communities he served. Shalom, Yosef🙏🏻🕊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing indeed, Louisa. You and I have been blessed with some amazing colleagues over the years, and it is one of mine to count you among them.

      Delete
  6. On many on occasion Mr. Cohen would simply say to me,"Traci, I love you." Those tender, sincere words will stay with me forever:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! What a beautiful memory! Thank you for sharing that, Traci. I know he thought the world of you, as do we all.

      Delete

While I welcome thoughts relevant to discussions of education, comments that are vulgar, insulting, or in any way inappropriate will be deleted.