Monday, April 21, 2014

Mr. Perkins Goes to Washington, Part 1


I am unlikely to engage in a filibuster as Jimmy Stewart did, but I am getting ready to go to Washington, D.C. next week with the other State Teachers of the Year from across the country.  Fifty-four of us, including the STOYs from the Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, and the District of Columbia, will participate in a week of activities that include meetings with the Department of Education, a reception hosted at the home of the Vice President by Dr. Jill Biden, and an event with President Barack Obama.  Each of us will have the chance to take a picture with the President in the Oval Office, after which we will join him in the Rose Garden for an event that will be streamed live at www.whitehouse.gov.

I am honored to represent Indiana students, teachers, and families as I join with some of the most dynamic educators I have had the pleasure to know, and I would love to have you along for the ride.  Please follow me through posts on this blog and through the following.

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/227525567415628/

Twitter:  @intoy2014

Blog:  www.intoy2014.blogspot.com

Instagram:  @intoy2014

I look forward to sharing this exciting event with everyone who cares about that most human and humane of enterprises, the shared journey of discovery that we call education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I welcome thoughts relevant to discussions of education, comments that are vulgar, insulting, or in any way inappropriate will be deleted.